Monday, July 7, 2014

Risen Fly

It's been an awesome past two weeks, mainly because I've been getting a number of visits from Brown Santa. What has he been bringing? Risen Fly Products! Here's a little writeup on what I've been testing, and click the title of the product to see it on their site!


A couple weeks ago I ordered myself a briefcase box for musky flies and special trips. Right out of the box I could tell this thing was well made. It has a nice feel to it, the foam is nice and dense, yet supple. This slotted foam design is super tight! I can fit all of my favorite 5-10" musky flies in here with ease, and they stay in there like they're glued. Overall, I am very pleased with this box. For 25 bucks, you really can't go wrong. 








If you're looking for a compact, durable, affordable fly box, look no further. This SLIM box has everything I want in a fly box, especially for nymphs. It is incredibly thin, latches great, and is filled with high quality slotted foam. Like their briefcase box, this SLIM box holds flies very secure, all the way down to size 22. They slip right in, and don't come out. I have had my first box (not pictured) for 2 years now and it functions as it did the day I bought it. The best part about this box? It's only 8 dollars! I don't know of any other fly box of this quality that is more affordable. 




I was looking for an affordable streamer rod, with a little character to it. I saw that Risen Fly had a special going on, and decided to grab myself a 9' 5wt 4pc ITB (In the Beginning). First thing I noticed out of the tube was the color. Man does the burnt orange pop! It almost reminds me of the fiberglass rod styles on the market lately. The wraps were all flawless, and the reel seat was sleek. Although I have only yard tested it, this thing SHOOTS LINE. Made from high module graphite, this medium-fast, mid-flex rod has some balls. I was shooting my entire WF 5wt line nooooo problem. That's right, all of it. I even put it to the test and double hauled with a little more line out than usual, and it didn't give out. Overall, I am VERY pleased with this rod...and for the price, you can't beat it. 






Moral of the story?! CHECK OUT RISEN FLY. These guy's are a PA company that have big things in store (pun intended). They have much more than just rods and boxes too. I've got a buff and some tippet from them too that I love. Basically, they have pretty much everything a fly fisherman would need. Get some of their high quality affordable gear today...before they blow up! 

Ty