Sunday, December 14, 2014

Florida Recap

Ty here finally posting about my trip to Florida the weekend before Thanksgiving with my buddy Bill. We got a call from our friend Coty, who lives in Florida, saying he just bought a boat and that we needed to get down there ASAP. So we made moves and bought some plane tickets to head down there for a 3 day weekend. The weather wasn't looking to hot but it was the only weekend we were going to be able to swing it. Plus, how bad could it really be? All I could think at the time was "I'm sure it'll be more exciting than a 3 day weekend of Musky fishing."


So Thursday I finish my last class before Thanksgiving break and we motor down to the airport dropping off deer steaks in mailboxes along the way (long story). We get to the airport, fire some shots, and snooze on the plane ride down. Friday morning we beat some little bass up on a local pond waiting for Coty to get off work. We got to the boat launch around 1 and were off. All I can say is WINDY. I've fished in some pretty windy conditions but mostly all rivers where the water is moving too. It was so windy I couldn't strip fast enough to move my fly before the boat would float to it. But we managed, and Bill gave it hell with the spinning gear, losing a really nice snook midway through the afternoon. We called it quits for a while and headed to the bar (notice a trend here). 

We had dinner at the Marina and Bill and I tossed back some more drinks; refueled to get back on the water and fish dock lights. This was probably one of my favorite parts of the trip, mainly because how visual it was. We strolled up to some green dock lights to find snook and trout lurking all over. I put on the simplest all white deceiver I tied and flung it into the green halo. A few strips later, I miss a snook. After being bummed about the lack of action in the afternoon, I was stoked to just get something to eat. Strip. Strip. Boom...I lose another snook. This time, it actually broke me off...but not my leader, my fly line! 10 feet back of my "like new" SA Saltwater taper gone...just like that. Not knocking them though, pretty sure it had a small tear in it. 

Grabbed Coty's 1 piece Echo Prime and bombed a hero cast underneath a new dock. I say hero cast because there was a $300,000 boat I had to avoid as well as 10 feet of dock to cast under before I could get to the light. One strip and this snook comes out and destroys my fly. I horse him out of the dock to keep him from the pylons and just like that I landed my first ever Snook on the fly. So pumped!! The skunk is off! We messed around for a little bit longer at the docks but the wind picked up even more and we headed home. What a day. 


The next morning we were at the launch at sunrise ready to give 'er hell. Still windy, but a little bit more manageable. Right off the bat Bill stuck a nice red on the jig. Redfish are at the top of my hitlist and it was awesome to see one...such an awesome looking fish. Then shortly after, Bill had to cut his line in the middle of a cast and we are all joking "imagine if you hook one while hand-lining it in". Well 10 seconds later he hooks up with a small trout and brings it to hand....literally haha. You can see this in the video below. 


As we expected, the wind picked up so we worked our way around the flats and parked the boat to get out and wade. This was much more manageable and Bill was at it again. He hooked up with another nice Red and a Jack Crevalle. I missed a couple fish, but was getting beat up pretty bad. Wouldn't be the first time Bill outfished me! 


Like the day before, the wind got unbearable and we headed back to the boat launch for some snacks. Coty and I ate some chips while Bill chewed on fresh Mullet-Head sushi...you've gotta watch the video for that one too haha. From here, we decided to stick to the mangroves and see what we could do. This was much more productive and less windy. We beat up some smaller snook, and I lost what would've been the biggest snook of the trip right at the boat. Still can't believe how quickly those guys munch through flouro! 


Sunday was too windy and we had a flight to catch so we spent our day cruising around town bar hopping. Overall, the trip couldn't have been any better for a first trip to Florida. Got a nice dose of what this place is all about, but it left me wanting more. I'll be back before Coty knows it, knocking on his front door looking for a couch to sleep on. Coty, thanks for the hospitality man! It takes a true friend to push two buddies around in 25mph winds on the poling platform haha. Great times as always. 

Here's the video recap:

Ty