Thursday, February 26, 2015

Chucking Meat : The Series

Well, here we are again about to talk streamers, hopefully no one noticed the week skip. The truth is the brutal cold of winter had me and the trout down in the dumps. The good news is that it reached a balmy 28 degrees the other day and I got to chuck a few meats. It was nice to get my t shirt out again, haha in all seriousness this winter has been a frigid one for Pa.

I wanted to touch base on one small aspect of meat chucking in this post, the Retrieve.

There are many different ways to bring your meat back to you in the water, the truth is no matter what anyone will tell you....THERE IS NO WRONG WAY. That's right I said it, someone had to .It might sound totally ridiculous but I have caught fish stripping meat, dead drifting it, snagged on weeds, still on the bottom, and just getting jiggy in all sorts of crazy ways. The key is to experiment everytime your out.
 This last short day trip was a perfect example. I always start stripping and overall its my most used retrieve, second is probably the dead drift and last is everything else. Anyhow I started this day stripping and it panned out slowly I moved a few fish early on and missed a couple also they seemed sluggish and lazy, so onto my next attempt ...to try and entice them with some dead drifts. The difference was night and day. Sure I had moved those few fish and missed some to boot, but it was nothing special. As soon as I started dead drifting my meats where getting blown up .

So what you should take away is to always try different stuff, you never know when one method may really turn the fish on.