Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hatches Reports, Opening Day, and Musky Flies

How's it going guys. Been slacking a bit lately with the blog, but not with the fishing! The weather has been pretty awesome the past week or two and we've been taking advantage of it. Due to the rain last week, we kept our efforts to Spring as it usually doesn't blow out. Midges and Little Black Stoneflies have been very consistent and fish are taking them up top! When the conditions cooperate, some heavy Blue Winged Olive hatches have been coming off too. Last Wednesday it was pretty sunny and a decent Grannom hatch came off on Spring in the afternoon. Overall, fishing has been pretty good. It's going to be awesome once the clarity gets a little better and the fish really start keying in on the dries.


Little Black Stonefly


Innnnnn other news, this weekend was the Western PA trout season opener. Like every opening day, we spent the weekend at the cabin with family and friends and it was a blast; the weather was beautiful for once too! Aside from the crowds and the token crazy bait fisherman, it's great to get out there and enjoy the time on the river. I spent a lot of time sitting on the bank, soaking up sun, and trading fish stories. Although the fishing was only decent, the memories will last forever. Ya can't beat that. 

Pine Creek

Doubled up with Papa Loo

I will be headed home next weekend for Easter, and plan to do some Musky fishing with my Dad, which I am really looking forward to! I've been itching to get after them after my last float, and the conditions should be great (aside from the moon phase but oh well). Here are a few recent patterns I plan to fish this weekend. Hopefully the Musky gods will be with me and I can finally boat one. I've taken damn near 1000 casts since my last tango with a toothy so it's bound to happen soon. I've got a feeling....





This one swims real big


Last but not least, get out and fish people! The weather is beautiful and all streams should be coming alive. 

Ty