Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Parachutes and Air-O-Planes

While looking upward at a low flying jet I decided and continued to ponder my need to tie more parachute dry fly patterns.

Don't ask me why a jet made me think of parachute dry fly patterns, I have tried to come up with an answer but cannot. (My mind is unique we will just say ha-ha.)

Dry flies are my air-o-plane in retrospect to the Red Hot Chili Peppers song, Music is My Air-O-Plane.

They take me away from the norm, or my norm of nymphing and what I have found to be most exhilarating, streamers.

A couple years back, mid spring to late spring to be exact, I started to fish and play around with small dries and what I like to call, "micro-dries." (Introduced to Frankie and I buy an absolute beauty, John Sparat).
To me there is a difference, does that matter no not at all. I just use these two different names to distinguish between size, small flies (sz.16-20) and even smaller flies (sz. 22-26), not much of a differential in hook size for micro dries and even from making the jump from a size 20 to 22, but as for visibility, yes. You can see the difference in the store, completion of tying small dries, and on the water when fishing them.

While fishing these two "different" types of dry flies I came to the realization that a sz.16 and sz. 24 can be made both equally if not more visible by adding a post. This post does not have to be of high flotation quality but only of high visibility, for usually when making a parachute you are wrapping a fair amount of hackle around the base of the post. When fishing those small or even "micro" dries some do not need posts'. These are your light colored flies, cream, gray, light olive, etc. Light or bright, whatever you want to call them.

Any small dry fly comes with some difficulties though.

While tying, seeing the size of the hook and the amount of space can be off-putting.  A little intimidating and some what overwhelming.  How do I tie a small dry fly? Where do I put the materials and how much do I use?

Start with your thread size.  If using thread for the body you can get away with a 6/0 thread on sizes18- 32. Thread is a great body for small dry flies.  Doesn't soak up as much water and really reduces bulk for those small dries with posts and hackle.  A lot of small dry flies have to do with spacing and the amount of material you use. If using some super fine dubbing or biots you can stay with the same size thread as stated before but you might find the flies could bulk up  quicker than intended.  If this occurs try switching your size thread to an 8/0 thread. 8/0 thread is thinner and has a lower tensile strength than that of the 6/0.  however breakage can occur often if not careful enough with the pressure applied on your thread wraps.

these are some things to keep in mind when tying small dries.

-Mooser