Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sipping Trout and Ending the Drought

Sorry for the lack of posting folks. Between finals and moving across the state, Moose and I have both been swamped the last few weeks. Although I haven't been fishing as much, some great things have been happening! The hatches on all of the streams in Central PA have been popping off. Sulphurs were just starting to get heavy when I left, so keep those boxes full! I got out a few times before I moved out and it was extremely successful. Nothing is better than throwing on some 5x, a dry fly, and not having to worry about the hassle of nymphing. Here are a few pictures of what we've been getting into.






 



Now, what I am REALLY pumped about. One year and 5 days ago my Dad and I went out on our first musky trip of the year, and I caught my first two Musky ever...on conventional tackle. Now, fast forward to this year, with similar conditions, on a Tuesday again, at the same spot, at the same time, BAM, I hooked and landed my first ever Musky on the fly. I cast the fly pictured below close to the shore and after two strips, I stripset on what I thought was a bass. About 10 seconds later, this 28" Tiger Musky jumped a few feet out of the air right in front of us and my Dad yells "It's a Musky!" I fought it through a few more jumps and runs, and we landed this mini-beast. We howled in excitement and shared one of the greatest father-son moments I have ever had, next to the double we had last May. Needless to say, I will never forget this, and hopefully there will be many more to come. 

"The Ludwig" This is the fly the Musky took

First ever Musky on the Fly! 28"

My version of "The Ludwig"

Ty