Monday, January 19, 2015

Well...What Really is Impossible?


“If nature has taught us anything it is that the impossible is probable”
Ilyas Kassam

    
     Well It has been said that good things' come to those who wait.  It has also been said that nice guys' finish last. It's also been said that big foot is not real, nor unicorns or chupacabras.

      I believe anything that can happen will happen, positive outlooks are key in anything you do or experience no matter if it is in a job, school, fishing, or even life.  Positive thinking really can change a lot. You always have to keep in mind, especially when fishing a certain stretch of water, that the time you put in means everything no matter what species. Just keep everything in mind, that maybe all those times you "blew" it on a single or many big fish that it just was not meant to be for right now.

     A very secluded stretch of water, which I started fishing when I was twelve. I was a worm dunker I will admit but it was all you needed at this spot. As I was growing up through my middle school years, I put my focus more towards fly fishing and fly tying because I thought it was cool and it looked more involved, the baiting and waiting was not cuttting it. I fished this stretch over the years and was always shown pictures from friends of massive trout, all wild as well. Some at night and during the day and when the sun was setting. Most of them early morning though, which I never understood? Could it be feeding times or could it have to do with the weather that day? Who knows but everything will eventually fall into place.


   2015- The start of a new year !

     Hopes were high considering I reached some impressive milestones, but I am not here to talk about those at all because they were last years accomplishments and 2014 has come and gone !

     While fishing this previously mentioned stretch of water I really was not too into it this day and really was kind of ho hum.  Freezing guides every five casts, frozen streamers when held out too long, numb pinky finger that I thought I was going to loose...It all adds up to one thing...a quick walk back to the car, a hot shower, and a hot bowl of soup. I said to my self, "Nick you're not gonna catch any trout whether it is a dink or a dinosaur going home now!" Okay, so now that you all know I talk to my self we can get on with this!

     After lots and lots of chucking big streamers into what felt like the oblivion, not paying attention at all on most of my retrieves and getting stuck in trees I had about had it! Too cold I said ! Bah humbug! Well I decided to stick it out a little bit more. A couple more casts' nothing. A couple more, nothing but frozen fingers and frozen guides. Getting very irritated, I calmed my self down cleaned off my guides and took a seat on a log to warm my hands up. Once I had feeling in my fingers I started working my way back to where I had came in at. Still chucking and still ducking, I had placed my streamer right where I thought it should have been casted all along...

...strip...strip...pause...strip...tick....strip...dead weight...shit, am I snagged?

     Nope! As I lift up my rod I feel all of my slack line ripped right out of my frozen left hand, rod doubled too its max, bending in ways that I did not think a 9ft 4wt could.  I am trying to figure out what this fish is as I saw just hints of a brown-gold down in the dark blue-green water. First thought, damn please tell me it is not a carp that I have just snagged. Thinking the worst I am just saying carp over and over in my head, as I am having my ass handed too me. The fight continues, it jumps clear out of the water and I just screamed ! I knew it was not a carp and I certainly could narrow it down to one fish that is brown-gold and get as big as carp, a giant brown trout!
  
     This brute was making me work, I slowly stared coming to grips with what was actually happening.  I have always dreamed of catching a 20 plus inch wild brown trout and up until then my greatest was an 18 inch one that I caught out of the same stretch way back in the day, when my only good rod was a seven foot four weight Orvis Superfine Troutbum. A rod that I still have and still love to this day ! As this giant got closer a tail grab was all I needed, pure elation took over and a huge weight was lifted and just disappeared into thin air. The impossible slowly turned into the probable over time, then became the possible and eventually became the reality. A journey, an evolution...