Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Stream Stealth Tactics

This past summer I started thinking a lot about what it means to have stealth on the stream. This was partially due to low water, and partially because I was fishing an area I hadn’t explored as deeply. So I started thinking; how did I perceive what it meant to have “stream stealth”? When I thought of it, I’d get those classic images from the books we all first read when learning to fish. The pencil drawn illustrations of a man crouching behind a bush or hiding his shadow from those spooky nearby trout. Truth is, I still think of it that way, I’ve just come to add some techniques of my own. 

Observe the Water Before You Jump In

This is very important because it can easily make the difference between catching fish and not catching fish upon your point of entry. You see a sexy riffle across the stream and want to sprint over to it. Before you excitedly step into the water, hold back, observe the current conditions and ask yourself a few questions: Can you already spot some fish from the bank? What’s the water level like? How clear is the water? Are there any bugs coming off and if so, are fish rising? Where is the sun and where is it casting my shadow? These are just a few things to make a mental checklist of. The more you know about your surroundings before stepping in the water, the greater your chances of tricking a trout. 

Approach, Wake and Vibrations
Some of this might be common sense, but it’s a good reminder. How you move from place to place on the stream plays a crucial role in concealing your presence from the fish. The general rule of thumb is to work your way upstream as you fish. Something as simple as this can keep your whereabouts hidden. Fish are generally going to be looking upstream for food floating down to them and a strong supply of oxygen. Therefore they most likely won’t notice you approaching from downstream. When traveling upstream, always survey the stream and how it moves. Walk slowly and as low to the water as possible to avoid producing a wake that will travel across the hole. Some days it doesn’t take much to send a wave of water over some selective trout only to turn em off (especially Senor Hog Johnson). In addition, be light on your toes. Wild trout are just as keen to vibrations as they are to visuals. Moral of the story: Take your time

Pictured below, my buddy Matt (@double_haul on Instagram), demonstrates a cautious approach keeping his distance while staying low to the water.
Fashion Statements
Some may find this a bit overkill but I’m telling you it’s important. Leave the bright colors at home! Sorry guys and gals, but trout don’t think your neon shirts are too cool. Trout will pick up on color indicators quickly and from a distance. If you’re walking along the stream with an orange hunters cap on, you could be scaring fish before you even see them. Now whenever I’m on the water I make it a priority to wear earthy subtle tones. I’ll usually wear some combination of browns, olives, and grays. Heck, flat out wear camo if that’s your thing.  


My focus on stealth tactics was caused by low water, tricky conditions when it was absolutely necessary to do so. However, I’ve come to realize the more I make these tactics routine, in ideal water conditions success rates will increase all the more. So give it some thought, trout are finicky enough as it is. 

         
 - Dando