Tuesday, November 3, 2015

10/30/15 Trip Report: An Agenda With a Brown Trout

  My first class on Friday was cancelled, so I planned a morning trip to the river. A river in which I had recently lost a decent sized brown in. It had been keeping me up at night, I needed to change that. Things went pretty well, and there’s a few reasons why I think it did.
              
  In Central Pa, and most areas of Pennsylvania, we’ve been struggling for water. Flows have been low and fish have been touchy. I’ve been targeting and picking through the deeper pools where they’d been piling up. But, two days prior we just got a big rain storm so I knew things would turn back on. Friday morning I woke at 5:45am and arrived to the stream before first light. Not being able to see the path in front of me, I crept my way to the first riffle. Waiting silent and still, I watched the water as the darkness started to lift. On my second drift, I picked up this rainbow. Today was gonna be good.


A few drifts and dinks later, I moved on.

After all I was here for a reason, I had a score to settle with an elusive brown trout.


  While making my way up to the hole where this fish held residency in, the image of the fight was playing back in my mind. Cast, drift, drift, lift, heavy fish on. I see a big flash of gold rise from the depths. Before I could react to what was happening he did three aggressive gator rolls and was gone. Heartbreak. I wasn’t gonna let this get in my head, but for the first time I felt nervous, almost intimidated by the water I was approaching.
           
  Upon arrival I sat on the bank and let any possible disturbance I had caused settle. Watched the water, and focused on what I was going to do.


  Cast, drift, recast, drift, recast, drift, lift, hookset, fish on. It was a beautiful brown, not the one I was after but am thankful for it regardless.



  After releasing this brown I let the pool rest. Then it was go time. A few drifts and repositions later, I’m watching my line as it travels through the depths. Drift, line pauses, lift, hook set, decent fish. I see it’s a brown, my heart rate begins to accelerate. He wants to dive back down to the bottom but I don’t let him. Steering him around the river, he eventually comes within netting distance. I reach for the scoop, I’ve got him. I look down at this brown and feel joy, satisfaction for my efforts. This is a beautiful brown trout and I am grateful for it.



 The river had been good to me, and I decided it was the right time to leave. Whether or not this is the brown that escaped me last I don’t know. But I drove home with a smile on my face, and stories to tell.

  To sum up, I believe there are a few key points as to why this outing was a success.
-The rain. The flows were right. Recognize these opportunities and take advantage of them. When your conditions are maximized, maximize your efforts.

- The time. Get out of bed! Be on the water as the sun peaks through the trees. The fish will be unsuspecting and feeding. Your flies will be the first they see of the day.

-Rest the pools. If you’re casting over and over and not catching anything, stop casting for a few minutes. Sit, observe the water, and let the fish chill out. Maybe change up your rig. If you hook and fight a fish through a hole, after you release it, rest it. Even though you might be hype and wanna start casting again, I like to sit down and let things settle. Give it a few minutes and start working again.

Think ahead in everything you do, these are the days we put in time for.

- Dando