Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Chucking Meat...WTF Happened?!

Clark here...holy hell has it been awhile or what? Since becoming a homeowner, my free time has dwindled to even less than it was before... That being said lets talk about some real streamer junkie shit.


Above is a little throwback to some spring Smallies. Heres a few quick suggestions: tie up some fair sized meats(think 4-6"), and aim to fish in April as close to the spawn (but not during) as you can. Throw those meats on the banks and right out in the middle; big long strips with ample pauses seem to get the most violent strikes for me. Don't be afraid to change colors sometimes it makes all the difference. I'll leave the rest be for now as spring is a ways away right now...but a guy can dream right?



Next up, some late spring browntrout action. As much as I enjoy the dry fly fishing this time of year I equally enjoy chucking huge meats on rainy days. Not much to say here except don't be afraid to fish blownout water. Hit those calmer areas and really beat the banks. You won't be disappointed.



The man, the myth, the legend; my good friend Freddy. Shortly after I showed him the bow and arrow cast he showed me up and caught all the fish that day.

 Heres a shot of one of them.



The coolest Dry fly I'e ever seen. It's currently nameless according to some reliable sources, but I'm calling it the Giant Yellow Wolfe. Pass it on!


A little PA gold: This was a few weeks after I taught myself how to nymph correctly. Here's my take on tight line nymphing...basically I always use two flies. One heavy fly to use as an anchor, then a smaller one about ten inches above it. I tie a double surgeons knot or blood know and leave one tag end to tie the top fly on. The objective is to sink the anchor fly until it drags bottom. Then lift up slightly and keep an eye where your line is in relation to depth of the water. Basically, keep the line tight and try to keep that bottom fly as close to the bottom as you can. Once you start snagging rocks that means your doing it right! Don't forget to clean off the Caddis cases now and again too hahaha.


Heres a decent fish from Utah, man I missed about a thousand more there...next time Utah, next time. Also, I almost died three times in Utah... but that's another story for a different post.



Lastly heres a kyped up hog I recently caught this fall on a sizeable streamer. I have been trying to make the most of not being able to fish as much as usual. The lesson here is simple big flies generally lead to big fish. I've said it before and I'll say it again, beat those banks. There is no secret fly or tactic just get out and chuck that shit! You'll be surprised what you start to see. The streamer game is as frustrating for me as it is for anyone, but for every fish I catch of this caliber, I probably lose or see a hundred chase my fly and never get to bring them to hand...but man is it cool to see some of the shit you do when you throw big flies.


Until next time, tight lines. hoping to do a future post on how I do deer hair heads. maybe in a week maybe a year you never know hahaha.